Blog 3

 I decided to look into the field that you recommended on narrowing down my paper on the exploitation of college athletes and whether they are fairly compensated. I have come to see that this is a very controversial topic and has a lot more to do with race than I had originally thought. Some of the articles I have looked at have done research and found that minority groups are much more likely to feel exploited. One of the articles makes a connection to the civil rights era and how during segregation these “black universities” actually had some of the best sports teams but after integration, they all started going to previously predominantly white schools, which happened to be affiliated with the NCAA. I am however having trouble thinking of a question in particular. So far my keywords are : exploitation, minorities, and whether or not this exploitation is justified/ worth it. I am going to look into this topic of “surplus value”

Benneth, Robert A., and Ryan P. Adserias. Black Males and Intercollegiate Athletics : an Exploration of Problems and Solutions. Emerald, 2015.

Gilbert, Daniel A. “Not (Just) About the Money: Contextualizing the Labor Activism of College Football Players.” American Studies, vol. 55, no. 3, 2016, pp. 19–34, https://muse.jhu.edu/article/651539.

Van Rheenen, Derek and Jason R. Atwood. "Confirmatory Factor Analysis of Perceived Exploitation of College Athletes Questionnaire." Journal of College Student Development, vol. 55 no. 5, 2014, p. 486-491. Project MUSE,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

counter argument